Filing a report

If you have fallen victim to crime, please contact the police as soon as possible. The sooner the police can start investigating the crime and scene thereof, the more likely it is that the criminal offender is identified and his/her guilt is proven.

If your own health or someone else's health or life is in immediate danger, urgently call the emergency number 112 to report the crime. 

If there is no immediate danger, you can report the crime by other means:

The police have drawn up recommendations on how to behave at the crime scene.

After filing a report, you will be contacted and given information on further actions (e.g. you will be asked to give a testimony, provide information on possible witnesses, help in the collection of evidence, etc.).

Additionally, you will be informed, where appropriate, on the availability of victim support services and other protective measures. You will be asked either when filing a report or later during the interrogation whether you want to file a civil action. The civil action does not have to be filed immediately, but it must be submitted no later than 10 days after the date of the submission of the criminal file at the Prosecutor's Office.

After the receipt of the report of criminal offence, the police and the Prosecutor's Office will decide whether or not to proceed with the proceedings.

Proceedings shall be commenced: If the police have received a report of criminal offence or any other information indicating the commission of a criminal offence, and there are elements of a criminal offence, then criminal proceedings shall be commenced.

Proceedings shall not be commenced: If criminal proceedings are not commenced, the person who filed the report shall be notified thereof within 10 days from the receipt of the report of criminal offence. Criminal proceedings shall not be commenced, if there are no elements of a criminal offence, the limitation period for the criminal offence has expired, the suspect is dead, a decision or a ruling on termination of criminal proceedings has entered into force or the criminal proceedings have been terminated, or there are other circumstances brought out in Section 199 of the Code of Criminal Procedure that give reason to refuse the commencement of proceedings. If you do not agree with the decision to not commence the proceedings, you are entitled to appeal against this decision with the Public Prosecutor's Office.