Child victim

The Child Protection Act obliges everyone to notify of a child in danger and in need. You can forward the information of a child in need or in danger to the child protection worker of your local government by calling the emergency number (police) 112 or the children's helpline 116 111.


  • If you see that a child has concerns, encourage him or her to talk about what happened in his or her own words.
  • Listen carefully. Recognise him or her for telling the story.
  • Tell the child that he or she is not guilty for what happened.

Believe the child. Often, the child abuser can be someone he or she knows, a family member, a neighbour or a friend. The child may not always realise that he or she was a victim of harassment or bullying.

If the victim is a minor, he or she will be subject to specific rights that guarantee the protection of the interests of the minor.  

For example, in case of minors under 14 years of age, whose hearing is related to domestic violence or sexual abuse, it is possible to use video recording in order to avoid the need to repeat the hearing in court.  

Also, if the interests of the legal representatives of the victim are in conflict with the interests of the victim (e.g. if the parents have abused their child), a representative who acts only in the interests of the child and protects them in the procedure shall be designated to the victim under state legal aid.