If you have reported a crime, the police will provide you information on victim support services and other relevant information that a victim needs to know. Also, victim’s information material provides you a good overview on what happens next. Additionally, the police should give you a criminal case number for your case. It would be necessary to note it down in a safe place. On the basis of this number, it will be easier to contact the police or the Prosecutor's Office later and ask information about your procedure.

When you report a crime, the police might ask you if you agree with your data being forwarded to victim support. If you agree, then victim support will contact you. If you refuse, you will always have the opportunity to contact victim support yourself.

If you have reported a crime, the police will start an investigation and try to find evidence on the case. Since you are the victim, the police will probably need to talk to you.

The police might need to collect evidence such as photos, fingerprints, etc. from the crime scene. If you have been injured due to a violent attack or you are a victim of sexual abuse, the police will ask whether you are willing to have a medical examination. It is your decision whether you give such consent, but please keep in mind that this might be a significant opportunity to collect forensic evidence that might later help to bring the person who attacked you before court.

The preliminary investigation will take time. The police will give you the name and telephone number of the police officer who is responsible for your case and who will keep you updated on important developments related to your case. If you wish to contact the police, it would be good if you can mention your criminal case number – that way, the police is able to quickly provide assistance.